"For everything that was written in the past was written to teach us, so that through the endurance taught in the Scriptures and the encouragement they provide we might have hope."
Romans 15:4 (NIV)
We celebrate a very rich history to Northeast Polk County. On May 20th, 1926, a small group of Christians gathered in the office of Robert T. Dewell to ask the question, ”Is it God’s time for the beginning of a new congregation?” As they felt the call to establish a church, they wrote a covenant:
“We promise to walk together as an organized church on the principles of faith and order of the Presbyterian Church. We will study the scriptures and promote the purity and harmony of the whole body of Christ.”
For the first 20 years, the Presbyterian Church congregation worshipped in the Marlea Theater, Women’s Club, Episcopal Church, and finally, a building purchased from the Baptist. In 1955, we occupied the facility on Oak Avenue, adding a Fellowship Hall and Education wing in the early 1970’s and in 1989 we enlarged the sanctuary to accommodate the growing congregation.
FPC has ministered to the greater Haines City area in times of plenty and in times of want. According to church history documents, during the Great Depression, Rev. McCullough never ceased holding services, although many area churches did. It is the same spirit of ministry that FPC clings to today.
In order to accomplish our ministry, FPC is moving forward in faith. Our current facility at 104 Scenic Highway (SR 544) was completed under the spirited leadership of Reverend Tom Christian in September, 2002. The sanctuary seats over 550 (expandable to 700). We have a large youth room, chapel, education room, choir room, office complex, children’s Kids Kingdom area, library/meeting room, and small rooms for Bible study. In 2010, our fellowship hall was converted to a worship space called The Living Room where our 9:45 contemporary service meets. On February 17, 2017 FPC became a part of the Covenant Order of Evangelical Presbyterians (ECO) with Rev. Dr. Jeff Winter being the first installed ECO pastor.
FPC is a congregation with a long history of fresh ideas and ministries that serves the Greater Haines City area.
We celebrate what God has done in our midst and look forward to an exciting ministry in the twenty first century as we leave PCUSA and enter ECO in early 2017.